Publisher Kalypso Media and in-house developer Gaming Minds Studios have today announced that seafaring trade simulator Port Royale 4 is now available on the Nintendo Switch™ family of consoles. The historic release marks the series’ debut on any Nintendo platform and maritime magnates can pick up their copy as a digital purchase from Nintendo eShop or in physical form from their local retailer.
Port Royale 4 gives players the ultimate trade sim experience, the fourth iteration offering a 12 million square kilometre playground of pristine 17th Century Caribbean scenery to both settle and explore. The Nintendo Switch™ version includes full touch-screen support, making it effortless to access the in-game mini-map whilst building intricate production lines that span multiple territories and upgrading settlements with an assortment of ships and buildings.
Those maritime magnates interested in a more action-focused experience can opt to attack rival nations, targeting their fleets and settlements while keeping a keen eye for pirates and other privateers who might be looking to do the same. Those looking to start their own colony can also succeed from their parent nation (France, Spain, England or the Netherlands) and choose a new name for their sovereignty, update their flag to something more their speed, and even take part in a heated war with their former ruler.
Title: Port Royale 4
Platforms: Nintendo Switch™, Windows PC PlayStation®4, Xbox One
Developer: Gaming Minds Studios
Genre: Trade simulation
Release: Out now – Nintendo Switch™
PC, PS4, Xbox One
In Port Royale 4 for Nintendo Switch™, set sail and join the colonial powers of Spain, England, France and the Netherlands in their fight for supremacy of the Caribbean in the 17th century. Take control of a colony as a young and ambitious governor and learn what it takes to manage and grow a small settlement into a bustling trader city.
Develop production chains connecting multiple islands and create complex trade routes across the Caribbean, covering the ever-growing needs of multiple cities. Make use of the detailed sea map to avoid stormy weather regions, cliffs or shallow waters. Fulfil tasks for your nation’s viceroy, earning more fame to unlock town buildings, ships and more. Conquer the cities of rival nations or hunt down their fleets with a letter of marque while also keeping a keen eye out for pirates and other privateers.
Introducing: naval battles! For the first time in series’ history, combat encounters are turn-based, with up to 8 ships battling at once. Turn the tide with tactical captain manoeuvres to ensure a glorious victory each and every fight.
- Choose from four colonial powerhouses: England, France, Spain and the Netherlands, each providing different benefits and unique gameplay styles
- Four single player campaigns following each nation on a path to glory
- Appoint a leader from four different character classes: The Explorer, Merchant, Buccaneer and Pirate
- Establish and manage trade with 60 Caribbean cities in a huge game world
- Navigate cliffs, shallow waters and stormy weather regions to optimize your trade routes
- Choose from 50 buildings to produce goods such as rum and luxuries
- Construct town buildings with neighbourhood effects to optimize productivity and manage the happiness of your citizens
- Sail 18 historically authentic ships from the late 16th and 17th centuries
- Engage in tactical, turn-based naval battles with powerful captains
- Unlock licenses, building permits, new buildings and ships by growing your reputation within your chosen nation