Port Royale 4 has just received its first major update (1.1.1) on PS4 and Xbox One. This update adds the improvements recently made to the PC version (1.1), including adjustments to warehouses and difficulty settings, along with measures that make money a much more valuable resource.
Additionally, update 1.1.1 introduces small changes to overall balancing, several bug fixes and a new optional feature – armed merchant convoys! With these changes we are aiming to make early game piracy more challenging, fun and rewarding.
Update 1.1.1 includes previous hotfixes made to the PC version (1.1), bringing all platforms in line with the same updates and changes.
You can find all the details in the changelog below.
Please note: as this update includes some major changes to the game, this may lead to complications in existing saved games – thus we recommend starting a new game after the update.
- Introduced a difficulty setting to Free Game allowing you to choose between the current warehouse system and that found in previous titles in the series. The latter will require you to first build a warehouse before being able to build production buildings
- From now on, to have your warehouse auto-sell goods to a town, you will first need to hire an administrator
- Reduced cost required for warehouse upkeep and split this between the warehouse itself and the upkeep for a warehouse administrator
- Tweaks to money
- Removed trade license requirements for towns belonging to your nation
- Decreased starting funds as you no longer need to buy trade licenses from the start (this should make money feel more valuable)
- Tweaked price curves to reduce price plateaus during trading
- Increased the cost of buying ships, making ordering them a viable option again
- Difficulty settings
- Revamped difficulty settings for Free Game, adding a new difficulty screen and making each option much easier to understand
- Added more difficulty-related options such as choosing between the new and the old warehouse systems
- You can now choose between 3 pre-set difficulties or a ‘Custom’ option so to customize the game’s difficulty to your liking
- As starting difficulties, we recommend ‘I Want A Relaxing Game’ for new players, ‘I Want A Decent Challenge’ for those familiar with trade simulators, and ‘I Am The Ruler of The Seas’ for those wanting to put their skills and trading acumen to the absolute test
- Armed merchant convoys
- Optional armed merchant convoys added to free game mode.
- If armed merchant convoys are enabled, every trading convoy will be guarded by 1 to 2 military vessels (1 to 2 bars in military strength), making early game piracy more challenging but potentially more rewarding. This will also allow the player to fight battles earlier in the game.
- Enemy convoys will still surrender if you are much stronger than them, allowing you to grab 50% of their transported goods. If the enemy convoy is of equal or superior strength, they will fight you, allowing you to steal up to 100% of their transported goods as well as potentially boarding their military vessels.
- Player-owned non-convoy ships anchored in the harbour
When anchoring ships in a town via the lighthouse, these will now show as anchored in each town’s respective harbour.
Please note: this visual indicator is capped at a specific amount for each town.
- Bell chime for manual convoy
Each player-controlled convoy will now trigger a bell chime when arriving in a harbour, regardless if it is selected. Automated convoys will only play the chime when selected.
- Swapped trade route menu buttons
Swapped the position of the ‘Assign Route’ and ‘Create New Route’ buttons in the trade route menu and adjusted the spacing between the buttons.
- Quick link to assigned trade route
When assigning your convoy to a trade route, you can now click on the name of the trade route via the ‘Trade Route’ tab of the convoy window. This will open the respective trade route in its respective window.^
- Selling ships prices adjusted
Selling costs of ships reduced
- Ship repair costs adjusted
Costs for repairing military vessels increased
- Using shipyards requires a trading license
Using a shipyard from another nation now requires a trade license in that town. This will put emphasis on using shipyards associated with your own nation in the beginning of the game
- Fireworks after town was captured
Added a visual effect to make the “town captured” event more rewarding.
- Firing administrators
You can now fire warehouse administrators
- Building town buildings without warehouse
If the option “Warehouse: Mandatory” in free game is chosen, you will be able to build town buildings in your hometown without having to build the warehouse first. Only production buildings will then need the warehouse to be built first
- Price curve changes
Further increased the price curve to reduce price plateaus during trading
Bug fixes and optimization
- Fixed: Rare crash related to the pathfinding system
- Fixed: Rare random crash
- Fixed: Arrow hint in tutorial chapter 4
- Fixed: The bell chime now also rings for automatic convoys when they are selected and are arriving in a harbour
- Fixed: Issue related to newly-built ships in New Orleans portraying the Spanish flag, when the city is under French control
- Fixed: Issue that allowed the user to go into debt during a specific trade interaction with self-produced commodities
- Fixed: Issue related to rounding numbers for the cost of produced commodities
- Fixed: Issue related to annexing Cuba
- Fixed: Issue related to filling up a convoy with priority leaving out one barrel of a commodity
- Fixed: Issue related with updating a convoy’s name when leaving a harbour
- Fixed: Debug text for quest rewards
- Fixed: Number of manufactures displayed incorrectly during construction
- Fixed: Being able to rotate the camera while in a menu
- Fixed: Mouseover for unlearned captain skill
- Fixed: Limited number of towns for tasks asking for more towns than we have on the map
- Fixed: Issue when rearranging towns in trade route editing
- Fixed: Rare blocker in tutorial chapter 4 about not having enough production slots
- Fixed: Game speed in tutorial increased from 0.5 to 1
- Fixed: issues connected to (custom) key bindings
- Fixed: localization issues
- Fixed: problem with regional goods in the campaign and tutorial